2.17.2009

Is Magenta a Color, or a State of Mind?



This may fall into the "Too Much Information" category, but here goes: If you think color theory is complicated, well, think again. Turns out, it can be REALLY complicated. According to deep-thinking research, magenta is not a color, which may be news to these alliums. Anyhue, those who are in a position to know say magenta is constructed by our brain in response to conflicting incoming messages from our retina that have been reinterpreted by the mind. Huh? I told you it was complicated.

If you want to go deep geek on the color front, and see a few cool optical color illusions along the way, learn why magenta is not a color here. And, learn a bit about qualia here, or perhaps get a more cogent explanation here at Wikipedia. I'm sure that clears things up. Kidding! I think I'll stick with nice, easy-to-understand color, like blue.

Shout out: boingboing

10 comments:

Chandramouli S said...

LOL! I'd stick to that too... Too complicated, but may be I'll come back to the link when my mind has had enough rest. For now, let me enjoy the amazing blooms.

Sylvia (England) said...

I will stick to "if I can see it, its a colour". I do like the picture, the Alliums I have (I think they are purple sensation) but the foxtail I have tried to grow without success.

Best wishes Sylvia (England)

My Mother's Garden said...

I love the allium! Spheres of any kind in the garden add great texture. I think I will continue to use magenta as one of my favorite colors. Interesting information.

Unknown said...

It's a colour people love to hate, isn't it? I happen to love it, but that's because it works well in our garden where pastels would be washed out in the fog.

Antigonum Cajan said...

Probably a state of mind.

Steve Silk said...

Chandramouli--Don't know if enough rest will help anyone wrap their brain around that mind-bending concept. Good luck!

Steve Silk said...

Sylvia-I love this picture too, those foxtails need really good drainage to thrive. As for magenta, I tend to agree--if it looks like a color it probably is a color.

Steve Silk said...

Hi MMG- I like those spheres as well. Alliums are also great for filling in the garden in late spring, not much blooms after the spring rush is over and before the early summer stuff sets in-alliums steal the show around here in early June.

Steve Silk said...

Jodi--I happen to like magenta too. It looks great in fog, and any of those kinds of conditions really call for more vivid color.

Steve Silk said...

AC--Gardening of any kind--at least this time of year-exists solely as a state of mind.