2.20.2009

Fab Foliage Friday



I'm cashing in on gold vein plant (Sanchezia speciosa). Again. This regal foliage plant really pays the rent in mixed containers, in groupings of pots, and, if you've got the right spot, in the ground. I love its more-or-less hand-sized, dark, dark green leaves, with each glossy leaf divided into neat little segments by rich-as-Croesus, buttery colored veins.

This tender tropical is easy to propagate from cuttings so you can amass a bunch, which is a good thing because it makes an utterly stellar background for more finer textured foliage or flowers-- lantanas, for example. And it overwinters easily for me as a houseplant, so getting nice sized specimens -3 or 4 feet tall--is just a matter of patience. Back when I first discovered this plant I had no idea how much I'd come to value it or how much its role as a player in my container creations would expand. Finding gold vein plant was like hitting the motherlode.

4 comments:

Chandramouli S said...

Ah, I know this! I've seen this plant in many houses, it being a low maintenance and an attractive one. It haunts the corporate building entrances here. Great photo, Steve.

Steve Silk said...

Thanks Chandramouli. I know this plant gets around, though it's not seen as much in my part of the world. It certainly is a beautiful low-maintenance plant.

Hostabuff, Zone 6a said...

Your right, that is fab foliage. Kind of like some of the rubbery brightly colored plants I saw visiting Nancy Forrester's Secret Garden on Key West. As a hosta lover - I really appreciate great foliage!

Marie-Monique said...

superbe!!! très belles photos, a suivre...à bientôt