12.01.2008

A Cutting Edge Tool



When my friend Lynn Cavo gave me a Japanese landscape knife the other day, she knew I was going to like it. She just didn't know how much. Well, it's not often I happen across a tool that transforms the way I work in the garden, so I'm singing the praises of this simple rice farmers' tool, a wooden handle mounted to a 6-inch sawtooothed sickle blade. It's invaluable for cutting garden clean-up tasks down to size.

My fall clean up is fast and simple--I mow just about everything down with a weed whacker or electric hedge trimmer (and yes, I've severed countless extension cords with that device). But that doesn't work for everything. Hostas, for example. or Siberian iris, which have invariably flopped flat by the time I get around to whacking them. Anyway, the harvest knife makes very, very quick work of those stubborn plants. I grab a handful of green, swipe the knife across its base and presto-all done! It should also work well for harvesting veggies and all kinds of other jobs too. If there's a gardener on your Christmas shopping list, visit the link above and you're all done. I've got BLK725P, one of the ones with a red handle-which should help prevent me from losing it quite so frequently. They're cheap too--$10 or so. And be sure to get yourself one.

4 comments:

Kit Aerie-el said...

I know what's at the top of my list for Christmas now--thanks Clatter Valley! ~Aerie-el

Steve Silk said...

Hi Aerie-el--Maybe you can use it to lop off some more brugmansia cuttings. You can never have too many of those.

lynn said...

Glad you liked it, Steve. It actually came from Nancy DeBrule-Clemente. She deserves the credit of finding us "a good thing."

Steve Silk said...

Hi Lynn--Glad you stopped by. Nancy did indeed find us a good thing.