12.02.2008

Chrissie's Cool Dragon


My friend the indefatigable gardener Chrissie D'Esopo is always full of surprises. I don't think she ever sleeps. I can't believe how much she gets done each day. Her ever-expanding gardens are always weed-free, immaculate and edged crisply as fresh-pressed pants. All that in spite of the fact that she kicks off each season by singlehandedly planting 20,000--yes, 20,000--annuals and 500 containers. Then she has to water the pots every day, and they are ALL OVER her garden. But she still has time to concoct and complete new projects. Like this topiary dragon, a mossy monster guarding the side of her house. It's been lurking there for a few years, and looks better each summer. Chrissie's been threatening to make a one-of-a-kind water feature--a life-size topiary elephant rearing up on its hind legs and spouting water from its trunk. Can't wait to see that one.

12 comments:

Chandramouli S said...

Is she from the divine heaven where peole aren't affected by tiredness! Whoa! I'd say you were dreaming weren't you? But can you take photos in dreams! Oh My God! She's amazing. Tell her that!

Kit Aerie-el said...

That is amazing...reminded me a little of some of the animal topiaries at Butchart Gardens (tho they are harder to spot). The creatures come alive thanks to the artist and plants. Kudos to Chrissie!
~Aerie-el

Anonymous said...

Has she taught it to fetch yet? I think it is pretty grand and unusual. I don't see how she waters all of it.

greenman said...

A Very nice Dragon...
:-)

It must be very humid to get that kind of moss so green and beatifully looking!

Helen/patientgardener said...

I love the dragon. People like that always make me feel inadequate

Steve Silk said...

Chandramouli--I've told Chrissie many times her creations are amazing-as is her energy.

Steve Silk said...

Aerie-el-I love the details on this. The teeth and claws are what really make this green beast come to life.

Steve Silk said...

Flowergardengirl--She waters all of it, it takes her as much as 3 hours a day-for the garden not just the dragon-when things get really dry. I think she also mists the dragon regularly.

Steve Silk said...

Greenman--I think Chrissie makes sure it s very humid, though our summers in this part of the world rarely lack humidity.

Steve Silk said...

Patientgardener-I know what you mean about feeling inadequate-on the other hand it's fun to know there is someone else out there as obsessed as I am.

Anonymous said...

That is so awesome.

It is so rare to see topiary done right.

Anonymous said...

Wow, love it!