1.16.2009

Fab Foliage Friday



More is better! We always hear about planting in drifts. Design books always advise using three, five or seven of a plant. Well, how about 15, or 20, or 25? That's what Wesley Rouse does in his stunning Southbury, Ct garden. This massive sweep of varied elephant ears (Colocasia spp. and cultivars) rising above a sprawling carpet of some groundcover bamboo (not sure which one) creates a foliage extravaganza that looks great all season long. For a look at another of Wesley's fab foliage combos, go here.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

our yards just keep getting smaller and smaller here in California - planting 3 of something can be a challenge, let alone 25.

I posted this morning on tiltshiftmaker, drop by and check it out.

Helen/patientgardener said...

I do like those Elephants ears. It all very well planting in big groups but you need the space to do this and if you are a plantaholic, as I am, having lots of one plant excludes from having others

Philip Bewley said...

You have such an eye for the dramatic. i love what you show.
I love big drifts of things. if I were to do a small garden from scratch, i would just pick a fe special and then plant in large groups to creat a feeling of place.
Best regards,
Philip

Hostabuff, Zone 6a said...

Drifts of plants alway look beautiful and provide a nice resting place for the eye. For most of my gardening life, the plant collector in me only let me buy one of each. Two years ago I finally committed to buying plants in threes. 20? I'm not so sure....