1.02.2009

Fab Foliage Friday



Thought I'd kick off the new year with a sizzling scene from my pal Sydney Eddison's garden. This is her back patio, her laboratory for concocting courageous color combos. And while this hot, bright design does benefit from a splash of paint and the hues provided by a few flowers, it derives most of its eye-popping, colorific splendor from foliage, brightly colored foliage, enough to make a whole garden. The close-up shows a few of the prime building blocks--Canna 'Pretoria', some unknown coleus, and a skirt of 'Margarita' sweet potato vine (Ipomoea batatas 'Margarita'). With those near-radioactive colors glowing all season, who needs flowers?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

That blue is perfectly situated in a sea of bright green. How very attractive and beautifully photographed. Love it.

Steve Silk said...

I love that blue too, Flowergardengirl. Makes for a very lively scene. PS, Love the look of your shed--I've got one going up too, more of an aviary, but I may have to look for that coppertop roofing. Sounds very nice.

Chandramouli S said...

Man! Do I ever get tired of watching your foliage! Great!

Kit Aerie-el said...

Steve,
Yowza! Fab Foliage Fridays just keep getting better. Incredibly stunning colors, combinations, and composition! Truly inspirational.
~Aerie-el

Anonymous said...

Those colors are "sizzling." I lowered the brightness of my laptop before coming to your blog to conserve my battery and still the colors of that foliage jump off my my screen.

Steve Silk said...

Hey Chandramouli--I'll try to keep it coming, glad you like it!

Steve Silk said...

Thanks Aerie-el--I've taken alot of inspiration from Sydney over the years. This display really got me. It's especially dramatic at twilight.

Steve Silk said...

MrB --It's electric--and eclectic. But that;s what I like about chareuse or golden foliages, they just seem to glow.

Philip Bewley said...

That is sizzling! I love the daring use of color. So big and bold.Very inspiring. I love it.