11.06.2008

Fall Finale



Yes, I know I already did a fall foliage post, but I just couldn't resist another. This time it's from my garden. Fall seemed to be lingering, and a few things I don't ordinarily consider to have good late season colors looked unusually appealing. So the garden beckoned. Luckily I took a few shots yesterday, as today's rain has already washed most of the remaining leaves off the trees. Above is the aviary garden, which provides as good an argument as any for a mixed border. The perennials basically crashed and burned a month ago, but trees and shrubs are carrying the color banner onward. How can you have a good border without woody plants? We're looking at a few Japanese maples, Viburnum nudum 'Winterthur' (at right), and in back, the tall yellow thingy is a Magnolia cylindrica, which I don't ordinarily think of as displaying colorful fall foliage, but there it is.

Below is a grab bag of fun stuff. Clockwise, from upper left, weeping larch, witch hazel, katsura, climbing hydrangea, and, lastly, a two Japanese maples, both grown from seed.

Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

inadvertent farmer said...

Absolutely Lovely!

Zoƫ said...

Stunning!

Steve Silk said...

Hi Zoe-Thanks,it's gone now.

BTW, I love your blog and mean to put it on my blogroll. I've been reading Garden Hopping for months.

On another note, you and my sister are sharing the same challenge right now; I wish you all the very best. Regards, S

Steve Silk said...

Hi there IF--Glad you liked it. I wasn't going to do any more fall foliage pix, but I just couldn't resist.

Gail said...

I remember when you posted the aviary in Gardening Gone Wild...it looks stellar with the fall colors. You are so right about the woody plants. A goal this winter is to add a few more to the mix, gail

Steve Silk said...

Thanks Gail--I'm so pleased with how the aviary turned out. A little more tweaking of the plantings next season and-let's be real-most likely every seaon after that, and it will be looking just how I picture it. The trouble, of course, is that the picture keeps changing. But then, who ever really wants it to be done? The idea is to just keep gardening.

Philip Bewley said...

Just so beautiful. You have a wonderful blog!

Steve Silk said...

Thank you Philip! Glad you stopped by.